Sunday, February 27, 2011

Handling Setbacks

What do you do when your "plan" gets derailed?  Okay, maybe it hasn't jumped the track YET, but I think I'm close to the breaking point.  We were on our way to church when World War III broke out.  I'm not sure what even started it, except that my husband wasn't liking my "mood" and suddenly decided to turn the car around and go back home because today's communion and he didn't think I was in the right spiritual condition to take it.  Okay, THAT got me mad.  Who is he to decide whether I should or shouldn't take communion and since when is that a reason to turn the car around and not go to church?  I was three (count 'em) THREE minutes late leaving.  Of course we leave 10 minutes ahead of the amount of time it takes to get there, so we would not have been late.  From this he concluded that I have no desire or intention of ever going to Sunday School.  Why am I tell you this?  Why am I airing dirty laundry before the entire world (or the three people who read this blog)?  Because the only thing I can think about right now is going out and finding the biggest, greasiest bacon double cheeseburger and a whole plate full of cheese fries and maybe a gigantic shake - from Red Robin, of course.

So what do you do when you get the urge to emotionally overeat?  Well, I've locked myself in my office and decided to blog until the urge passes.  Just to bait me, said husband came up and brought me the car keys, in case I wanted to go any where.  Apparently he's washed his hands of me for the day.  And I'm not even sure what I did, other than the fact that I was 3 minutes late and not my usual, perky self.  Like HE's always Mr. Sunshine in the morning!  Hrmph...

So I guess my point is, if you are overcome with the sudden overwhelming urge to eat something you shouldn't, count to 10.  Have a granola bar or a handfull of grapes, a cup of coffee, a good cry, or whatever else will help you put things back into perspective.  Because it's not worth whatever momentary burst of seratonin you might get from the overload of carbs for what it will do to your health and all the progress you've made already!

Meanwhile I have planned our menus for this week.  On Monday, we're having smothered salisbury steak, Pioneer Woman's potato packets and a cup of steamed veggies - whatever looks good if I can motivate myself to go to Sam's today, otherwise maybe something from the freeszer.  Tuesday I'm trying a new goulash recipe, with low carb noodles, of course.  Wednesday I'm making Paula Deen's Oven Fried Chicken Cutlets and apple slaw with poppy seed dressing from my WeightWatchers Meals in Minutes cookbook.  Thursday, believe it or not, I have found a Pasta Carbonara recipe that has only 551 calories, and, made with Dreamfields pasta, only 21 carbs per serving.

I promised you a post about good fats and bad fats, and I suppose I'll get to that next time.  Right now I have to go to sleep and dream of cheeseburgers (or risk eating one)!

Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about the bad start to your day. Those kinds of things don't help when you are trying to watch your weight. I am so proud of you and glad that you were able to divert your attention from going out and eating what you really knew was not going to be good for you in a lot of ways and sharing it with those who care and will listen. (Red Robin is one of my favorite places too so that took a lot of willpower).
    I for one will always be here if you need someone to share your thoughts with. I just so happened to have come up here to check my mail and just saw your post. I hope that you won't let this spoil your whole day. I sometimes wonder what gets into guys and why they feel the need to take whatever is bothering them out on us. It didn't sound like you did anything wrong. You and I are our own person and can surely make judgments as to what we should and shouldn't do at any particular moment.
    I hate when John professes to know what is best for me and then gets pissed off when I don't agree.
    If you ever need someone to talk to and want to call, just let me know and I will be happy to talk. Take care...Love, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed this one! You did a great job handling this situation. I am only commenting on the health-related part. You two can resolve your own squabbles. ;-) I don't consider myself to be an emotional eater as such, but there are times when I am upset and I want to say, "Forget the calorie count today. I am eating that!" Other times, I get my stomach in a knot and don't want to eat at all. When you choose to indulge, it should be on your own terms, not because of a rash decision. I like all of your suggestions, and I will try them next time I have a bad day.

    ReplyDelete