Friday, February 11, 2011

The beginning of a journey ...

When I went to see my endocrinologist in December, she asked me if I was thinking about losing weight.  She's so sweet that way - she doesn't bludgeon me over the head with it, just friendly little "suggestions" and the occasional guilt trip.  Anyway, I said that we had been thinking about trying Nutrisystem D (for Diabetics).  She made a face and when I pressed, she said she didn't recommend it - it's too expensive and you don't really learn how to eat right - they do all the cooking for you and you turn into a mindless numb robot who just eats whatever is put in front of you on a plate.  And that's what got me to this point in the first place.  She recommended Weight Watchers.

Well, I'm really not one for going to meetings and getting weighed in front of a bunch of people.  No, not me.  But it got me to thinking, and being the queen of Google, I decided to see what information is online and do it on my own.

So the first of the year, we embarked on this journey to discover a healthier way of eating that would lead to weight loss and (more importantly) lower our blood sugar.

Because of my previously mentioned proclivity to exposing secrets like how much I weigh in public meetings, I wasn't about to actually JOIN Weight-Watchers.  But I thought I needed some accountability so I began posting our evening meals on Facebook.

We've been doing this for nearly 6 weeks now, and numerous people have asked me for recipes, tips and secrets.  As long as the secret you're asking me ISN'T my weight, I'm happy to share, and decided to start this blog.

So if you're interested, check back in the coming days and weeks and as time permits, I will blog my thoughts, recipes, meal plans and other tidbits so that if you're a meeting-phobe like me, you can join me in secret.

Happy trails!

2 comments:

  1. Hi J. Saw your blog and just wanted to let you know that I am so proud of you! I need to be doing this also but the motivation just isn't there or the help and support of the person that I am living with. He could also use to lose but denies it along with all the other things he doesn't want to own up to. So, I am left to my own devices.
    My doctor has been telling me for years to lose weight because I have slowly put back on what I had lost-not all of it but all but about 10 lbs. My bad cholesterol is high and a couple of years ago I had to start taking meds for that.
    I am not the happy person I was when I met you 12+ years ago. I know I gotta do this for me but how do you do it when you have someone sabotaging you? That seems to be his mode of operation for a lot of things.
    Accountability is a big help for me. I don't mind going to the meetings and the nearest place isn't very far. I've gone there before. It would be easier if I had someone to go with.
    I don't know if I would follow through if I had to do it online. I have thought of that too. I am a lifetime member of WW and so I can start whenever I want and not have to register again, it's just getting that one foot in the door or going online.
    Since I don't have anyone to support me here it is hard to stick to it. If I was on my own I would be more inclined to stick to it because I have in the past.
    I have enjoyed reading your dinner plans and hearing about your progress. That is so awesome! I have never been a meal planner. I just make what comes to me when I open the fridge. Just don't know how to do it.
    Keep up the good work. I'll be reading along here with you as you continue your journey. Best Wishes!....C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you for the daily updates you've been making in Facebook, and all the new recipes you've tried this year. I was a Weight Watchers lurker for a while, too. I never signed up, but used a lot of their materials. My mom was a lifetime member. Their latest edition New Complete Cookbook has some interesting recipes in it.

    It will be great to follow your progress!

    ReplyDelete