Thursday, February 17, 2011

Diabetes 101

Ever since I’ve been thinking about writing this post, I’ve had this song stuck in my head.

[Insert yesterday’s disclaimer here:  I’m still not a doctor and I still don’t play one on TV.  Take what’s here with a grain or two of salt and do your own research and/or ask your doctor for his or her take on all of this.]

To understand diabetes, it is important to first understand the normal process by which food is broken down and used by the body for energy. Several things happen when food is digested:

  • A sugar called glucose enters the bloodstream. Glucose is a source of fuel for the body.
  • An organ called the pancreas makes insulin. The role of insulin is to move glucose from the bloodstream into muscle, fat, and liver cells, where it can be used as fuel.

People with diabetes have high blood sugar.  This is because:
  • The pancreas does not make enough insulin
  • The muscle, fat, and liver cells do not respond to insulin normally
  • Both of the above

When you have type 2 diabetes, the body does not respond correctly to insulin. This is called insulin resistance. Insulin resistance means that fat, liver, and muscle cells do not respond normally to insulin. As a result blood sugar does not get into cells to be stored for energy.

When sugar cannot enter cells, abnormally high levels of sugar build up in the blood. This is called hyperglycemia. High levels of blood sugar often trigger the pancreas to produce more and more insulin, but it is not enough to keep up with the body's demand.

People who are overweight are more likely to have insulin resistance, because fat interferes with the body's ability to use insulin.

Type 2 diabetes usually occurs gradually. Most people with the disease are overweight at the time of diagnosis. However, type 2 diabetes can also develop in those who are thin, especially the elderly.

Family history and genetics play a large role in type 2 diabetes. Low activity level, poor diet, and excess body weight (especially around the waist) significantly increase your risk for type 2 diabetes.

People with type 2 diabetes should eat at about the same times each day and try to be consistent with the types of food they choose. This helps to prevent blood sugar from becoming extremely high or low. Meal planning includes choosing healthy foods, eating the right amount of food, and eating meals at the right time. You should work closely with your doctor, nurse, and registered dietitian to learn how much fat, protein, and carbohydrates you need in your diet. Your meal plans should fit your daily lifestyle and habits, and should include foods that you like.

Managing your weight and eating a well-balanced diet are important. Some people with type 2 diabetes can even stop taking medications after losing weight. 

Exercise can help your overall health by improving blood flow and blood pressure. It decreases insulin resistance even without weight loss. Exercise also increases the body's energy level, lowers tension, and improves your ability to handle stress.

Those are the dry, clinical facts.  On a more personal level, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 6 years ago.  I am on insulin and 3 oral meds, and have adjusted my diet according to the number of carbs my doctor and nutritionist instructed me to consume at each meal: 30-45 each for breakfast and lunch, 45-60 for dinner and 20 for an evening snack.

That wasn’t really enough to lose weight and I still experienced blood sugar spikes.  I will also admit right up front that I do not get much exercise.  Okay, any.  I sit at a desk all day (or I work from my recliner, as I'm doing right now!) and once a week I go grocery shopping.  That's pretty much it.  Once I’ve lost more weight, I will be more inclined to get out and move but for now, I’m simply adjusting my diet and measuring the results. 

Since my doctor suggested Weight Watchers, I embarked on a journey to create a personalized WW plan that would incorporate my recommended carb levels for each meal.  Since my husband is so supportive, he’s eating what I eat.  Don’t you love that?  Of course the food is so good, he’s not suffering, and since we have started snacking between meals, neither of us is hungry, so that’s good.

In addition to monitoring WW points and carbs and eating 100 calorie low-carb snacks between meals, we have also started consciously drinking a lot more water – aiming for 96 oz or more per day.  Some time ago we got off the bottled water kick by installing filter under the kitchen sink for our cold water, and we use 24 oz reusable bottles.  I make sure I drink 2 of these bottles of water before lunch and one after lunch, and then I start one with dinner and finish it before bedtime.

Next Post: This week’s menus and recipes


                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment